Saturday 16 April 2016

Baby Blanket update

Before I talk about the baby blanket, let me show you some more photos of the Cedar of Lebanon tree - or rather, where the tree was...

Firstly, all the staff and residents were allowed to help themselves to whatever logs they were able to pick up, to take home for firewood and the like. Then the tree surgeons returned and took away the really big bulky branches and sawed up the main trunk into planks so that they can be put to good use. They had a nifty machine to saw the planks too - it took them no time at all!


The base of the trunk was ground right down to grass level, so if you didn't know there had been a tree there, you almost wouldn't notice.


If you look out the window at the other end of the building you can now see Wolvsey Palace, where the Bishop lives.

Tina's Allsorts, Springtime Baby Blanket
But on to the Baby Blanket. It's coming along quite nicely and I've managed to make 50 squares so far. I'll make another 50 and lay them out to see what the size looks like - that might be just enough, with a border.
This is what they look like when laid out so far. They look quite effective - you just need to imagine a thin white line bordering every square when they're joined.

The squares that are edged with dark blue or mauve are very similar in colour, so I think I'll only use half as many of each as I will the other colours.

Also on the crochet front, I came across a nice blog a couple of weeks ago (via Pinterest) by a lady called Heather (although she seems to post lots on facebook, rather than her blog now) and she's currently working on a Circle of Friends blanket that looks amazing. (I'm sure I've seen at least 2 other bloggers who have made/are making this blanket too, although I can't quite think who at the moment.)
It has so much lovely texture!! She gives a link to the free pattern by Priscilla Hewitt, so I had a quick look and just had to have a go!! (Although I didn't read it properly, I only scanned it so my attempt is somewhat different - as ever...)

Tina's Allsorts, Circle of Friends

Those bobbles are just so easy - I'll have to remember how to do them. Maybe I could find a way to work them into a ripple blanket? Now there's a thought...
But no!! There's a baby blanket to be finished first! Now, where's my hook?...


No comments:

Post a Comment